The Scottish Government undertook an inquiry on excess deaths since the start of the pandemic.
The inquiry closed on 10 January. The questions were:
- Has the public health emergency shifted from COVID-19 deaths to deaths from non-COVID-19 conditions?
- Is there evidence that patients are now presenting in a more acute condition?
- What accounts for the deaths from non-COVID-19 conditions?
- Is there enough of a strategic focus on the indirect health impacts of the pandemic?
- What are the realistic options open to the government in addressing the indirect health impact of the virus in winter 2021/22?
Our response (with supporting images, which sadly couldn’t be uploaded to the inquiry web page) is in the PDF file shared below.
How would you have responded?